Sunday, December 19, 2010

Back to work and fired up!

Sorry for my lack of updating the blog while I was away with my swimming teams for training trip.  It feels like I've been gone for months instead of days so I'd say that means it was a great trip and I really got a chance to "recharge" the battery.  I've been thinking a lot about goals recently since my time spent with Martin Rooney from the world famous Parisi Speed School in Fair Lawn, NJ.  One of the main points that Martin made was that your goals need to be focused and clear and even more importantly that you need to have the goals written down.  We even went so far as to create Physical, Educational, and Financial goals for 2011.  You don't have to use those categories but they certainly seem like good ones that everyone can relate to.



Now when you ask most people if they have goals many times they'll answer yes, but when you probe deeper they really have no idea what their actual goal is.  For example most everyone seems to answer that a goal is "to lose weight", OK- well how much weight exactly?  And over what period of time?  See if we don't make our goals Specific, Measurable, Realistic, and Time Bound then we're setting ourselves up to fail.  As the saying goes "failing to plan is planning to fail", without written goals you're doing just that. It also helps if you post your goals somewhere that yourself or others will see them, this is just more quality assurance that you're conscious on a daily basis of what your trying to achieve.  I've even gone so far recently as to keep a "mini copy" of my goals for 2011 on me at all times!

And since I'm talking about keeping your goals where you can see them and be held accountable I'm going to post my Physical & Educational goals right here on my blog so that you all can see them as well.  I'll refer back them frequently and cross them off as I accomplish them.

GOALS FOR 2011
Physical
1) attain less than 10% body fat
2) work on mobility & flexibility 10 mins per day
3) do 100 push ups 3x week
4) compete in an Olympic Weightlifting contest
5) go snowboarding 10 times

Educational
1) write or contribute to a strength training book/manual
2) write an article for NSCA's PTJ or TSAC journals
3) read a non training related book every 3 months
4) read a training related book every 3 months
5) contribute more to the NSCA


Me and my new friends from the Parisi Mentorship visiting Ground Zero in NYC. 

Expect big things from this group in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment